PlaySport is an online activity-based resource which was initially developed by Ophea in partnership with Brock University in 2002. In 2014, with the help of funding from the Government of Ontario, the resource was enhanced and relaunched in English and French. The enhanced resource contains linkages to the Health and Physical Education curriculum and the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.
PlaySport helps children and youth develop an understanding of and competency with skills and strategies associated with physical activities and a wide range of sports. The activities in PlaySport can provide experiences for participants to help them build physical literacy, health literacy and the skills for healthy active living. Designed for educators, recreation providers, coaches and physical activity promoters, PlaySport uses the Teaching Games for Understanding (TGfU) approach.
- A searchable database of downloadable activity cards with step-by-step instructions
- Access to animations and/or illustrations for each activity
- Linkages within each activity to the Ontario Health and Physical Education (H&PE) Curriculum
- Connections within each activity to the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines
- Athlete videos which highlight some of Canada's top athletes and the connection between physical activity and the development of living skills